How To Make Jaggery, Flaxseed and Ragi Laddu
Come winters and you’re likely to be offered Ragi Laddu with steaming hot ginger tea in a pahari home. This is a traditional recipe made with seasonal ingredients mostly home grown and homemade. Laddus are delicious and nourishing. They are energizing and keep you warm in winters. Ragi laddu are made and enjoyed throughout the winters in the hills.
- Prep Time10mins
- Cook Time35mins
Ingredients to make Jaggery, Flaxseed and Ragi Laddu
- 1 cup ragi flour (finger millets flour)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 2 1/4 cups crumbled or grated jaggery
- 1 to 2 teaspons dry ginger powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ghee (preferably made from cow's milk)
Steps to make Jaggery, Flaxseed and Ragi Laddu
- Take ragi flour in a thick bottom wok. Dry roast it till it begins to change colour and a sweet aroma emanates.
- Roast sesame seeds till they puff up, begin to change colour and crackle. Stir continuously while roasting.
- Roast peanuts till they crackle and become golden brown. Stir continuously while roasting.
- Roast flaxseeds till they crackle and begin to change colour. Stir continuously while roasting.
- Let the roasted ingredients come to room temperature.
- Grind sesame seeds, peanuts, and flaxseeds to a fine powder. Grind almonds to a fine powder.
- Take Ragi flour and powdered nuts and seeds in a large, wide-mouthed pan.
- Add crumbled jaggery and ginger powder. Mix well. Add ghee.
- Take the mixture in a grinder and blitz for 1 to 2 minutes, two times. It should become warm, sticky and easily shapeable.
- Take mixture in your hand, press and shape to get walnut size laddu.
- Store in an airtight container.