How To Make Bread Upma/ Bite sized bread pieces tossed in some sweet & spicy flavoured onions
Many of you would have eaten this or would know how to prepare this. But for those who don't here is a yummy recipe for breakfast. I'm not a big fan of bread, but love bread in this form. Living in a country where bread is staple food had to post this. I'm the Idli/dosa/vada/pongal/upma breakfast person. As a kid I always found bread-butter-jam very boring. I loved something hot on my plate for breakfast.
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time15mins
Ingredients to make Bread Upma/ Bite sized bread pieces tossed in some sweet & spicy flavoured onions
- Bread - Half of a medium sized loaf
- Cooking oil - 1/2 tbsp
- Onion - 1 large-sized chopped
- Turmeric powder - a pinch this is optional
- Salt to taste
- Ingredients for the paste:
- Green chilli's - 4
- Coriander leaves - 10 sprigs
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Jaggery - a thumb sized piece
Steps to make Bread Upma/ Bite sized bread pieces tossed in some sweet & spicy flavoured onions
- Heat oil in a deep bottom frying pan. Set the heat to medium. Add the onions when the oil is hot.
- Add a pinch of salt to accelerate the onion frying process. Add a pinch of turmeric powder if you wish to. You need to fry the onions till they begin to turn golden brown.
- While keeping a close eye on the onions, roughly chop the ingredients for the paste. Turn them all into a paste using a pestle as shown.
- If you preparing more servings you can coarse grind it using a food processor. Since I was prepping just 2 servings I used a pestle.
- Make sure you are tossing the frying onions in between so that they don't turn black.
- Tip: If you want a small twist, you can add a few mint leaves while preparing the paste.
- Once the onions are golden brown, add the freshly prepared paste of coriander leaves, cumin, green chilli's & jaggery.
- Add about 30 ml water to the mortar & take off any paste sticking to it. Add this water to the pan.
- Fry this paste along with the onions for about a minute. Add salt to taste. Now add the bread pieces & mix well. Make sure each piece has some coating of the paste.
- Now fry the bread for a minute or two. You can fry for longer if you want the bread slightly toasted.
- Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves if you want to.
- Serve hot.