Sweet Coconut Rice / Narali Bhaat
A sweet rice recipe made with fresh coconut and Jaggery. This is a typical Maharashtrian dish and we offer this as Naivedhyam on Narali Pournima/ Raksha Bandhan. Narali Bhat is an irresistible dish which is a blend of rich flavours of Green Cardamom, saffron and spices like Clove and Cinnamon. Dry fruits and raisins add to the richness of the dish. The recipe calls for cooking the rice in coconut milk instead of water and is sweetened using Jaggery.
- Prep Time15Minutes
- Cooking Time20Minutes
How to make Coconut Milk
How to make Ghee
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/4 Cup scrapped fresh Coconut
- 1 1/2 Cup thin Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup thick Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup freshly grated Jaggery
- 2 tbsp ghee
- Few saffron strands dissolved in 2-3 tbsp of warm milk
- 3-4 cloves
- 2-3 small pieces of Cinnamon stick
- 4-5 green cardamom
- Few Cashew Nuts and Raisins
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom and Nutmeg Powder
- A pinch of salt
- Soak the Basmati rice for 15 minutes, drain and keep aside. Add the grated Jaggery to the thick Coconut milk and mix properly. Also in a small bowl add few saffron strands to 2-3 tbsp warm milk.
- Heat up 2 tbsp ghee in a non stick wok on medium heat and add the spices - Green Cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and dry fruits and fry until fragrant.
- Add the soaked and drained rice and stir well for 1-2 minutes. Now add the thin Coconut milk and pinch of salt to the rice, cover the wok with a lid and cook the rice to 80%.
- Add the jaggery mixed thick coconut milk and saffron milk to the rice.
- The rice may look watery but do not worry, the Jaggery will coat nicely to the rice and all the coconut milk will be soaked up within 2-3 minutes. Add the scrapped coconut and 1/2 tsp cardamom and nutmeg powder to the rice.
- Mix well and cook for one more minute. Serve it either hot or cold and enjoy. The dish acts both as a main course and as a sweet dish. I usually serve it with some spicy and rich gravy dish and poori.
My Tip: Add the jaggery mixed thick coconut milk to the rice only once it is almost cooked. Adding jaggery to the rice in earlier stage will end up in uncooked rice.