Karele ka Bharta (Kalara Bharta/Bittergourd bharta)
- 2 medium sized Bitter gourd
- 1 medium sized Onion
- 2 Green chilis
- 1/2 tsp Pancha Phutana (panch phoran)
- 2 tsp Mustard oil
- 1-2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Lemon juice (optional)
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash bitter gourd and cut into two. Add this to pressure cooker along with ½ cup water, salt and turmeric. Cook for 2-3 whistles. Wait till steam releases, drain excess water and set aside.
- Mash bitter gourd with green chili with salt. Chop onion into medium sized pieces.
- Take kadai and add oil. When oil starts smoking, drop in pancha phutana along with onions. Fry till onions turn transparent.
- Now add mashed bitter gourd and cook for 6-7 minutes or till it starts to brown.
- Turn off flame and sprinkle lemon juice and crushed garlic. Combine and serve hot with roti’s.