Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry | How to make Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry
About Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry
The name of the Assam’s Signature dish is Masor Tenga, which is actually a ‘tangy fish curry’. People from Assam love this dish so much that they cook it regularly as well as in different occasions. It is a tangy and sour preparation of fish and it has a very delicate rich taste but is very easy on the tummy. Few parts of Assam have hot weather with more than 70% humidity throughout the year, thus to stay healthy and fit, they cook and serve Masor Tenga. People use various souring agents such as Tomatoes, Lemon, Sour Spinach, Elephant Apple, Roselle Leaves or Garcinia.
Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry is a delicious dish which is enjoyed by the people of every age group. The recipe by Sanchari Jayanta teaches how to make Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry step by step in detail. This makes it easy to cook Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry in your kitchen at home. This recipe can be served to 4 people. You can find this dish at most restaurants and you can also prepare Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry at home. This amazing and mouthwatering Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry takes 20 minutes for the preparation and 30 minutes for cooking. The aroma of this Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry is so tempting that makes you want to eat it. When you want to prepare something very tasty and delicious for special occasion then Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry is a good option for you. The flavour of Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry is palatable and you will enjoy each and every bite of this. Try this Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry and impress your family and friends.
Ingredients to make Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry
- 250 grams of Fresh Water Fish, preferably Rohu cut into 4-5 large pieces
- 1 teaspoon of Paanch Phoron (a mix of Fenugreek Seed, Nigella Seed, Cumin Seed,F ennel Seed and Radhuni in equal parts. If Radhuni is not available, Mustard Seed can be used.)
- 1 medium sized Potato, cut into 6 pieces
- 3-4 Pointed Gourd or Parwal, cut into 4 thin slices for each Parwal across the length
- 2 Red whole chillies
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoon of Mustard Oil
- 2 tablespoon of Lime Juice
- Salt as per taste
- Sugar as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric Powder
- Optional: 1 teaspoon of grated skin of a Gondhoraj Lime for the flavour (it is quite hard to find them in other parts of India)
- Optional: 3-4 Green Chillies
- Optional: Chopped Coriander Leaves
How to make Masor Tenga or Tangy Fish Curry
My Tip:One can use Tomatoes as well instead of Lime Juice. To do this, take 3-4 ripe tomatoes and cook them before adding the fish. Then cook till it's softened and you will have a red colored thick gravy. However for an authentic preparation use Lime juice. You can use other vegetables as well in this preparation such as beans, carrots, brinjal, etc.