Vivika or Pathaneer Sweet Idlies
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
- 3 cups- raw rice
- 1/2 cup- palm sap or toddy
- 9 tbsp- sugar
- 1 tbsp- cashew nuts chopped
- 1 tbsp- raisins
- 2 tbsp- thin slices of coconut
- 1/2 tsp- cardamom powder
- cooking soda a pinch
- water- as required
- salt- acc to taste
- 4- bananas (Kasli variety)
- 1/2 cup- dosa batter
- Wash the rice well and soak it for 1 hour.
- Nicely drain the water, spread the rice on a cloth and allow it to dry until all the moisture is gone. Let it not dry for more than a hour.
- Grind the rice into flour. Sift the flour in batches. At the end of sifting, you get tiny rava like broken rice left out. Keep collecting them. That is called kuruna rice. Keep the flour aside.
- Take all the kuruna rice in a bowl. Add water in the ratio i.e kuruna : water = 1:3. Add required salt as well.
- Boil kuruna mix with constant stirring until the kuruna and water becomes a thick porridge.
- Cool the porridge.
- Add the flour into porridge little by little. Meanwhile keep mixing it with your hands. Mix completely until the flour becomes wet with the porridge.
- Add half cup of old dosa batter and give a mix with your hands.Now the whole batter mix will be thick and not runny. That is how we want it to be. Because once palm sap and sugar are added, lots of water will be released into the batter.
- Add fermented palm sap/toddy on top of the flour mix. Make holes with a spoon on the flour mix. The toddy seeps into the flour mix and helps in fermentation.
- Leave it undisturbed overnight on your kitchen counter.
- Next day you will see that the batter has loosened up. Add mashed bananas, sugar, elaichi powder. Give a good mix with hands. Taste the batter and add more sugar if required.
- Add nuts, raisins, coconut slices. Add the cooking soda just before steaming the idlies. Mix well.
- Pour the batter in a idli steamer after greasing the plates. Steam them for a maximum of 8 to 9 minutes. And your aromatic vivika is ready :)
My Tip: Substitute for toddy - 1/2 cup coconut water ( not tender coconut water ) + 1 tsp of sugar , allow to rest for an hour.