How To Make Sajjige Rotti / Rulavachi Bhakri (Semolina Pancake)
Simple and tasty breakfast. The dry mix that can be pre-made lets you whip up a filling breakfast in a jiffy!
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time15mins
Key ingredients for Sajjige Rotti / Rulavachi Bhakri (Semolina Pancake)
How to make Ghee
How to make Idli/Dosa Batter
Ingredients to make Sajjige Rotti / Rulavachi Bhakri (Semolina Pancake)
- 1 cup fine semolina / bombay sooji/rawa
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated coconut
- 1 small-medium (approx 1/2 cup) finely chopped onion
- 2 small green chillies minced (adjust to taste)
- 1 inch ginger grated or minced
- 3 tablespoons thick curds/yogurt (use less if it is too sour
- 1-1/4 cups water (add in parts)
- 4-5 curry leaves minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 1-2 tsp sugar or powdered jaggery (optional but recommended)
- salt to taste
- ghee or oil for shallow frying
Steps to make Sajjige Rotti / Rulavachi Bhakri (Semolina Pancake)
- In a bowl add the semolina, wheat flour, grated coconut, onions, green chillies, ginger, coriander, curry leaves and mix well. Add the curds and water in parts to form a thick batter almost like idli batter.
- Add salt & sugar/jaggery to taste and keep aside for 15-20 mins. This will help the semolina to fluff up a bit and cook faster. After 20 minutes if you feel that the batter is too thick add a few tsp of water or curds at a time to loosen it
- Heat a cast iron tawa or a non stick pan and spread about 2 heaped tablespoons of the prepared batter in the centre of the pan. Using the back of the spoon/ladle gently help the batter to spread out using a circular motion.
- Cover the pan and cook on a medium heat for approximately one minute. Open the lid, drizzle some ghee around the sides of the rotti and some drops over the surface. Cook on both sides well till golden brown.
- Serve hot with chutney, sambhar or simply a dollop of fresh butter.