Begun Bhaja ( Fried Eggplant Bengali Style)
- 500gms Eggplant/Auberigine (Purple Colour)
- 1.5 cup Rice flour
- 1.5 tsps Turmeric powder
- 1tsp Red chilli powder
- 3-4tbsp Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the eggplant thoroughly and cut them into 1-inch slice each. Keep it immersed in salt water( as it removes the bitterness if any).
- Mix turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, sugar and rice flour together in a bowl and set aside. Remove the eggplant from the water, soak it in a tissue paper and then coat it with the mixture. Make sure the mixture coats the eggplant on both sides and also that it is not runny. Let it marinate for 10mins
- Heat the oil smoking in a wok, fry the eggplant in batches in medium flame until it turns golden brown. Flip it once in the middle. Make sure that the eggplant does not lose it shape and that it is cooked soft.
- Remove the eggplant from the oil and soak the excess oil with tissue.
- Serve it hot, garnished with green chillies and coriander leaves with rice or roti.