Bruschetta- An Italian Appetizer
Bruschetta is an antipasto (starter dish) from Italy consisting of grilled bread rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil and salt. Variations may include toppings of tomato, vegetables, beans, cured meat, or cheese, a popular dish is Bruschetta pomodoro; the most popular recipe outside of Italy involves basil, fresh tomato, garlic and onion or mozzarella. Bruschetta is usually served as a snack or appetizer. In some countries, a topping of chopped tomato, olive oil and herbs is marketed under the bruschetta name.
- Prep Time20Minutes
- Cooking Time10Minutes
How to make Pesto
- 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup cheese cubes
- 4 to 5 green olives
- 4 to 5 black olives
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh basil chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and 1/2tsp freshly ground pepper to taste
- Grated cheese for garnishing
- 12 slices of Italian bread or baguette
- Ingredients for Green Pesto :
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup roasted groundnuts
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the basil, garlic, lemon juice, and groundnuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Add ¼ cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining oil, cheese and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl.
- Fresh basil walnut pesto is ready. Taste and see if it needs more pepper or salt and add as needed. Remember that the Parmesan cheese will add some saltiness too, so go light on salt in the beginning, you can always add more as needed.
- Pesto tastes great as a dip with crackers or cut up vegetable sticks. Go ahead, make yourself some!
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Combine tomato, bell pepper, onion, garlic, green and black olives, cheese, basil, oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Now spread the green pesto on each bread slices and top with tomato mixture and grated cheese.
- Serve immediately.