How To Make Pomegranate and dry fruit Pilaf
Pilaf, also known as pulav and is a dish in which rice is cooked in a seasoned broth. In some cases, the rice may also attain its brown color by being stirred with pieces of cooked onion, as well as a mix of spices. Depending on the local cuisine, it may also contain meat, fish, vegetables, pasta, and dried fruits. presenting a simple saffron pilaf studded with almonds, raisins, cashews and lots of pomegranate pearls. The saffron gives a mild lemony color to the pilaf along with that magical aroma where as the nuts give a royal texture and bite to the pilaf. Pomegranate pearls add on the beauty of the pilaf along with enhancing the fruity flavor required. The pomegranate and dry fruit pilaf is pretty close to the Kashmiri pulao where lots of fresh fruits are used along with nuts. I often make this when ever i have guests at home.
- Prep Time30mins
- Cook Time10mins
Key ingredients for Pomegranate and dry fruit Pilaf
How to make Ghee
Ingredients to make Pomegranate and dry fruit Pilaf
- Long Grain Rice - 250 gms
- Onion - 1 big and sliced
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cardamom - 2
- Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
- Cloves - 4
- Mace - 1 pinch
- Star anise - 2
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt - as neded
- Almonds - 8
- Raisins - 1/2 cup
- Cashews - 10
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/2 cup
- Kewda water - 1 tsp
- Saffron - 1 pinch
- Milk - 2 tbsp
Steps to make Pomegranate and dry fruit Pilaf
- 1. First wash and soak rice in sufficient water for 30 mins before cooking. Meanwhile soak saffron in 2 tbsp milk in a small bowl and keep in fridge.
- 2. Heat ghee in a wok and fry onion slices to golden and crisp. Keep aside. In the same ghee add raisins, almonds and cashews and keep aside.
- 3. Heat double water in double quantity of rice in a big broad vessel. Add lemon juice, salt and whole spices into it. Once the water starts boiling add the soaked rice and allow it to cook. This may take 5-6 mins.
- 4. Drain the water and strain the rice through a rice strainer. Transfer the rice to a broad base tray and spread saffron milk all over it. Mix gently. Now add the fried dry fruits, kewda water and cover it with an aluminium foil for few minutes.
- 5. Add pomegranate seeds and fried onions generously before serving.
- Serve Hot either with your favorite curry or just with some flavored raita.