Microwave Moong dal Dahi Bhalla
Dahi Bhalla; made of moong daal! And that's too in microwave! Sounds interesting? Yes, the idea to prepare the dahi bhalla with Moong daal is taken from Meera Girdhar and the idea of preparing it in the microwave is taken from Sudeepa Dutta. It's one of my own dare to try and combine both the ideas and add some expertise to prepare a healthy appetizer.
- Prep Time75Minutes
- Cooking Time5Minutes
- Dhuli Moong Daal - 1 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - To taste
- Cumin Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida - 1/4 teaspoon
- ENO Fruit Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Plain Curd - 3 cups
- Water - as needed
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Chaat Masala - 1 teaspoon
- Dry Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- For Tadka - (Oil, Mustard Seeds, 1 pinch Asafoetida, Green Chillies, Curry Leaves, Kashmiri Mirch Powder - As needed)
- Vinegar - 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Wash and soak the dhuli moong Daal for an hour (I kept it so). Drain and make a paste of the daal in a mixer grinder. If needed add a spoon of water. If possible, avoid the water. The paste should be thicker than semi-liquid.
- Add salt to taste, cumin powder, asafoetida in the daal paste and beat till it turns smooth.
- Add ENO fruit salt mix it gently and scoop the batter into small silicon moulds. I arranged it in 10 moulds. You can use any microwavable moulds.
- Microwave on High (100%) Power for two minutes. If needed then check at 30 seconds and again for 30 seconds if needed. If the batter is perfect, time should not exceed more than three minutes.
- Boil 3 cups of water with salt and 1 teaspoon of sugar. When it comes to boiling point turn off the flame and let cool till it becomes warm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Curd mixture. Add salt to taste, chaat masala, pepper powder to taste, dry roasted cumin powder in the curd and mix smoothly (I added some water to keep the mixture a little free flowing).
- As soon as the Vadas are ready put them into warm water and soak for 5/6 minutes. Squeeze out gently to remove excess water.
- Put the Vadas in the curd mixture.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan. Add all the ingredients of Tadka one by one. Then turn off the flame and add the vinegar.
- Pour the tadka onto the Dahi bhalla, serve with chutneys and enjoy with your loved ones.
My Tip: 1. The only secret to get soft Dahi Valla is to beat the daal paste using your hand with your love and passion. It just takes about 4-5 minutes to get a smooth paste. 2. Dahi Bhallas taste better if you can refrigerate for about half an hour after putting the vadas in the curd mixture. Before serving just prepare and add the Tadka. 3. I have added a pinch of edible food color, while beating the daal paste, in order to get a nice attractive color. Ssshhhh!!!