Khoya Paneer is a very popular North Indian dish made in various parts of Punjab, specially during special occasions like marriages or festivals. Khoya paneer, a perfect blend of evaporated milk and pureed onions, tomatoes and cashews when curried with cottage cheese chunks gives a royal treat and can easily be a show stopper in any party or occasion. Serve this creamy , rich curry with some fresh home made naan or even enjoy with some zeera rice and salad. A perfect dinner option when you have special guests at home.
- Prep Time10Minutes
- Cooking Time20Minutes
How to make Garam Masala
How to make Khoya
- Cottage Cheese / Paneer Cubes - 250 gms
- Tomatoes - 4 pureed
- Onion - 2 medium chopped
- Ginger Paste - 1 tsp
- Green chili paste - 1 tsp
- Khoya / Mawa / Evaporated Milk - 1 cup grated
- Cashews - 8 soaked or blanched
- Kasuri methi - 1 tsp crushed
- Coriander powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf - 1
- Salt - as needed
- Sugar - 1 pinch
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Oil / Butter - 3-4 tbsp
- For Garnish - fresh cream and coriander
- Heat 1 tsp of butter in a pan and saute chopped onions along with soaked cashews till golden in color. Turn off the gas and allow it to cool. Once the mix is cool, transfer it to a mixer grinder jar and add little water and grind into a fin
- In the same pan add grated khoya with 1-2 tsp of butter and fry til brown in color. Keep aside to cool.
- Heat oil/ butter in a wok and add bay leaf along with kasuri methi, ginger and green chili paste. Fry for few seconds.
- Now add the onion and cashew paste in the wok and fry well till you get the aroma.
- Now add pureed tomatoes along with coriander powder. red chili powder, garam masala and cumin powder and fry nicely till oil starts leaving the sides.
- Once the gravy starts to thicken ad in the khoya and stir well such that the khoya incorporates well.
- Season the curry with salt as required and a pinch of sugar and mix well.
- Add 1/2 a cup of milk to make the curry, give it a boil and then reduced the flames and allow the curry to cook for few minutes with lid closed.
- Once the curry is done, drop in the paneer cubes and gently mix the curry.
- Garnish the khoya paneer curry with a swirl of fresh cream on top along with some grated paneer and chopped coriander.