How To Make Tomato Khajuri Khatta ( Tomato and Dates chutney)
A deliciously tangy preparation from Odisha !!
- Prep Time0mins
- Cook Time20mins
Ingredients to make Tomato Khajuri Khatta ( Tomato and Dates chutney)
- 200 g Tomatoes
- 7-8 Dates
- 2-3 Garlic flakes
- 2 red Chili
- 1/5 tsp chopped Cilantro
- 1/ 5 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/5 tsp Fennel seeds
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp roasted Cumin chili powder
- 3-4 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
Steps to make Tomato Khajuri Khatta ( Tomato and Dates chutney)
- Take a wok and heat 1-2 tsp. oil. Add fennel and mustard seeds. When they start to splutter add garlic, red chili and curry leaves.
- Add tomatoes (cut into four halves). Cook covered till tomatoes turn salt.
- Now pour in 1½ cups of water along with salt. Bring this to boil and add dates. Simmer for 10-15 min.
- Add sugar and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle roasted cumin powder. Stir.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with rice/roti or even tastes best when served with samosas.
My Tip: One can also avoid the garlic and fennel.