How to make Garam Masala
- 3-4 Karelas
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt according to taste
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp (adjust this according to your taste)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp fennel seed powder
- 2 tbsp Jaggery / Gud
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1/4 cup yoghurt
- Cut the karela in your desired shape. Remove the seeds. Wash it properly and put it in hot boiling water for 10-12 mins.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the chopped onions. Fry till they turn golden brown.
- Next, add the ginger-garlic paste and tomatoes. Add all the dry ingredients in the yogurt. Mix it well and add this mixture into the pan.
- Add the boiled (or fried) karela in the mixture. Stir it for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the tamarind pulp and garam masala.
- Finally add the chopped coriander and cover it for 2-3 mins. Serve it hot.
My Tip: You can even deep fry the karela, but I prefer to boil it as its more healthy.